Blink

A medley of Bach was the only thing that could silence her mind, in this racing city. She pressed the volume up on her Ipod. The iconic chords managed to dumb-out the sound of her heavy stilettos upon the pavement; a sound that seemed to mimic the screech of a pneumatic drill in concrete. She longed to hear the pigeons coo; but even they failed to take a breath amongst the madness. They bobbed past her feet aimlessly, in their search for mangled morsels. She watched one blink, and she winked right back.

@alittlebirdtweets2015

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 thoughts on “Blink

1. JC says:

A kindred spirit amongst the madness. Very nice!

2. Your details made this so palpable! It made me anxious to be alone in a quiet place. Well done.

3. Paul Beech says:

A smart young woman of refined tastes. We like her immediately and wonder what has brought her to this alien city. She is apprehensive, excited, hyper-alert. What is the nature of her appointment and how will it work out? The wink is a clue, of course.

Using the β€œshow, don’t tell” technique, you’ve accomplished a lot in under a hundred words, Donna. We are hooked. Great flash fiction – well done.

Paul

• Thank you so much, Paul. I added the last sentence in, at the last minute. Usually ending my pieces with a downturn or twist, I thought the blink would add a postive spin for a change. You have pointed out some intetesting things that I hadn’t noticed about the piece…thank you so much for the inspiration.

4. ajppobrien says:

An excellent piece of writing.

5. Oh Hello Rain says:

I love this. It reminds me so much of living in Brighton, staring out of the cafe windows at the birds with Bach in my headphones. Reading it was like time travel πŸ™‚

6. I can hear the soundtrack to this! x

7. Mary says:

Running in stilettos tripped me up visually here but I liked the imagery of this piece. A good example of how short can still be powerful!

8. Wow! This was great! πŸ™‚ I love the sounds in this piece! Also, how we’re brought to a special moment of pause and attention amidst such a busy and everyday scene of life πŸ™‚ Excellent!

• Thank you so much, Daniel! I love to capture a flash moment in life…I like that you observed it this way as some people feel they want more of a story and a bigger picture. Your comment is appreciated. Best Wishes πŸ™‚

• You’re very welcome πŸ™‚ Yes, two elements of beauty in the flash moment are that you help teach us to appreciate single moments in our lives and also that you invite us to think and utilize our imagination. Both great gifts! Best wishes to you too.

A great little scene. You capture the hum drum of the ‘racing city’ with the ‘screech of the pneumatic drill’ really well. And I love the way you bring in the details of the stilleto heels and the antics of the pigeon searching for morsels. πŸ™‚
    Hello again! Last time I checked, you still weren’t back on your blog.Good to know you haven’t left us. πŸ™‚

10. Nice. I enjoy those times when I interact with semi-wild animals, too. πŸ™‚

11. freespirit says:

I like the post Blink it shows a good imagination.

12. septembersrose says:

I have a journal where I copy down my favorite posts by fellow bloggers. I just wrote this one in it. I would wink at a bird.

13. UpChuckingwords says:

I dig your style. Look forward to reading more!

14. Thanks for the like and follow. I’ve been reading your work and this is my favourite so far. Hope to read more in 2016.

15. Most inspiring words πŸ™‚ thanks

16. Hi Little Bird, I just wanted to say thanks for the follow. And I browsed through some of your writings. They are marvellous. I will surely come back to read more. See you X

• Hi Little Mermaid. Thank you for stopping by, for browsing my writings and for your lovely comment, it’s much appreciated πŸ™‚ I shall look forward to reading your work too πŸ™‚ Have a wonderful weekend x

17. Love how you’ve captured a single moment!
    Those are the ones that really count πŸ™‚ πŸ’œ Jackie@KWH

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Picturesque poetry

Swarnima sharma

Texas Outlaw Poet

JEFF CALLAWAY

THE ERRORS

Hidup tanpa gaje bukanlah hidup!

umaverma12

Inner-peace is necessary to overcome of all the pain.

Three Rivers Deep | Bookstore

Book one "SUN CATCH HER pre-order happening NOW!

optimisticlifeat30

The essence of Poetry

BLISSFULLY LOST SOUL ❀

I am a cocktail mixed of Fire & Ice. I can be an angel & become a devil next moment, But trust me if you are good to me u will see my wings.

Invest In YourSelf First!!

Only We Can Change our Life, No one Else Do it For Us

Life - a tale

Because everyone's the same tale, narrated differently.

Thoughtsmith

... feelings & thoughts, scripted in fonts ...

thevoiceofpeace18

Be the peace you are looking for

The Flowers of Art

In the kingdom of life, with the strokes of the brush, the bow and the pen, artists have sowed their hearts to contrive, fields rivalling in beauty the Garden of Eden.

Alice Wake Up

Give Life a Meaning

Girl, Interrupted

Getting the words out

J.W. Carey

There is a great literary tradition of well-off white guys hating themselves. I think it ended up being called Existentialism. I'm doing my damn best to keep it alive.

Mellow Mayhem

A Mellow Revolution

Marc Fusion

A concise guide to the world of cinema, tv, and games through the eyes of a sociopath

Haint-Blue Shudders

Ghosts, Spirits, Hags, & Haints

The Protagonist Speaks

Interviews with the protagonists of your favourite books

Megan Slayer and Wendi Zwaduk

Second Chances and White Hot Romance

A Life Beyond Crohn's

Living life with Crohn's Disease

Ilonita's Books, Quilts & notes

My book reviews, quit & sewing projects, and notes from travelling.

chattyday

When no one else listens

My Wonderland

A blog about my life and thoughts

ABOUT THE AUTHORS...

Because we couldn't fit it on one page.

This, That, and The Other

Random musings on life, society, and politics

Ink That Flows

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Hemingway

Daniel Triumph's Blog

The Pursuit of Quality Narrative Through Study and Practice

Arrowhead Freelance and Publishing

Making the world a richer place, one story at a time

Writing and Editing