Blink

A medley of Bach was the only thing that could silence her mind, in this racing city. She pressed the volume up on her Ipod. The iconic chords managed to dumb-out the sound of her heavy stilettos upon the pavement; a sound that seemed to mimic the screech of a pneumatic drill in concrete. She longed to hear the pigeons coo; but even they failed to take a breath amongst the madness. They bobbed past her feet aimlessly, in their search for mangled morsels. She watched one blink, and she winked right back.

@alittlebirdtweets2015

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 thoughts on “Blink

1. JC says:

A kindred spirit amongst the madness. Very nice!

2. Your details made this so palpable! It made me anxious to be alone in a quiet place. Well done.

3. Paul Beech says:

A smart young woman of refined tastes. We like her immediately and wonder what has brought her to this alien city. She is apprehensive, excited, hyper-alert. What is the nature of her appointment and how will it work out? The wink is a clue, of course.

Using the “show, don’t tell” technique, you’ve accomplished a lot in under a hundred words, Donna. We are hooked. Great flash fiction – well done.

Paul

• Thank you so much, Paul. I added the last sentence in, at the last minute. Usually ending my pieces with a downturn or twist, I thought the blink would add a postive spin for a change. You have pointed out some intetesting things that I hadn’t noticed about the piece…thank you so much for the inspiration.

4. ajppobrien says:

An excellent piece of writing.

5. Oh Hello Rain says:

I love this. It reminds me so much of living in Brighton, staring out of the cafe windows at the birds with Bach in my headphones. Reading it was like time travel 🙂

6. I can hear the soundtrack to this! x

7. Mary says:

Running in stilettos tripped me up visually here but I liked the imagery of this piece. A good example of how short can still be powerful!

8. Wow! This was great! 🙂 I love the sounds in this piece! Also, how we’re brought to a special moment of pause and attention amidst such a busy and everyday scene of life 🙂 Excellent!

• Thank you so much, Daniel! I love to capture a flash moment in life…I like that you observed it this way as some people feel they want more of a story and a bigger picture. Your comment is appreciated. Best Wishes 🙂

• You’re very welcome 🙂 Yes, two elements of beauty in the flash moment are that you help teach us to appreciate single moments in our lives and also that you invite us to think and utilize our imagination. Both great gifts! Best wishes to you too.

A great little scene. You capture the hum drum of the ‘racing city’ with the ‘screech of the pneumatic drill’ really well. And I love the way you bring in the details of the stilleto heels and the antics of the pigeon searching for morsels. 🙂
    Hello again! Last time I checked, you still weren’t back on your blog.Good to know you haven’t left us. 🙂

10. Nice. I enjoy those times when I interact with semi-wild animals, too. 🙂

11. freespirit says:

I like the post Blink it shows a good imagination.

12. septembersrose says:

I have a journal where I copy down my favorite posts by fellow bloggers. I just wrote this one in it. I would wink at a bird.

13. I dig your style. Look forward to reading more!

14. Thanks for the like and follow. I’ve been reading your work and this is my favourite so far. Hope to read more in 2016.

15. Most inspiring words 🙂 thanks

16. Hi Little Bird, I just wanted to say thanks for the follow. And I browsed through some of your writings. They are marvellous. I will surely come back to read more. See you X

• Hi Little Mermaid. Thank you for stopping by, for browsing my writings and for your lovely comment, it’s much appreciated 🙂 I shall look forward to reading your work too 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend x

17. Love how you’ve captured a single moment!
    Those are the ones that really count 🙂 💜 Jackie@KWH