Prism Dreams

I long to roll down the river called Prism Dreams; to feel the night sky percolate the open pores of my skin. But I heard that the riverboat overturned last winter; had kicked all of the stars out of kilter, had halted the flicker of dragonfly wings under a wearisome moon. I heard that life had become receptive to the fear that had flourished in the eyes of the submerged.

@alittlebirdtweets2016

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 thoughts on “Prism Dreams

1. jwforeva says:

Never seen anyone write flash fiction like that, I myself wrote a few haha but this one’s great! Good to see you again!

2. Paul Grant says:

Eerily beautiful,you do the noir thing so well!

3. EDC Writing says:

You write in such a unique way…it’s been along time…good to read you again. Eric

4. Nik says:

Lovely writing. I should follow that opening two word sentence with something profound and valuable but…I’ll stick with lovely writing. Because it is.

• Thanks so much, Nik. I really appreciate the feedback. I hope you are having a creative year. Best Wishes.

• Nik says:

So far so good thanks! Bit slower than I wanted but have been juggling a lot of running and parenting recently. African winter is coming so lots more chances to write and be inspired πŸ™‚

• I’m glad to hear all is going well. Life is a juggle of events isn’t it…but the main thing is that we find time to do the things we enjoy, even if it’s only ten minutes a day. The seasons are so inspiring for writing. The UK is in Springtime now…the daffodils are in bloom, and it’s only just becoming warmer. Hope you find lots of inspiration πŸ™‚

5. gspottedpen says:

I think of existentialism when I read this one. An angst is converted into a trope with nature’s resonances. Well written!

• Thank you so much for your wonderful analysis and feedback, it’s really appreciated. I like the word existentialism…I haven’t come across that, so I am noting it down. Thank you πŸ™‚

6. Grandtrines says:

Reblogged this on Still Another Writer's Blog.

7. Joe Artz says:

A river is a prism isn’t it, because of the way water bends light? Holding your arm into the water, it doesn’t enter the water at exactly the same place it left. I like the transition from the night that percolates and enlivens, to a new state of submergence, drowning. Rivers are also dangeous, and can shift states without warning. Good piece.

• Thank you so much for your analysis and feedback, Joe. I like your thoughts on changing rivers, and how an arm doesn’t enter the same place it left it…a very interesting thought. Thank you πŸ™‚

8. Very beautifully done! I love how descriptive you are in just a few words!

9. Paul Beech says:

Splendidly dark and surreal, a poetic micro-story of real power. I like β€˜Prism Dreams’ very much, Donna. You have a distinctive voice.

My very best,

Paul

• Thank you so much for your wonderful comment, Paul. You always do provide great feedback and it’s much appreciated. I juggled the sentences about, and cut the words endlessly on this piece…sometimes it can take me a while. Best Wishes πŸ™‚

10. Abu Amirah says:

I love this! There is just something about the flashiness of flash fiction that moves my heart! Thanks for liking my blog by the way, i moved to http://akhymjanja.co.ke/.
    Shukran!

11. cjackwrite81 says:

Beautiful

12. I just pictured what it might be like to roll down a river called prism dreams. Thank you. πŸ™‚

13. Canuck Carl says:

You are so very descriptive in your writings. Thank you for sharing! πŸ™‚

14. This was great . I have nominated you for the 3 days quote challenge .Find details here https://iauthormayankk.wordpress.com/.

A really excellent short flash. Very well written.

• milliethom says:

Hi! It’s a long time since I’ve visited your blog, Donna. I’ve had a lot of weeks of not blogging myself this year, and find it so hard to play ‘catch up’ when I come back! I hope all is well with you and you’re managing to keep on top of daily work and a mountain of books to read (I did notice your ‘list’ post. The word ambitious comes to mind, but I’m sure you’ll do it! Lovely to hear from you again.

• Hi Millie. Yes I go on WP everyday to catch up, but don’t necessarily feel that urge to be posting all of the time now. The reading is going well thanks…I have managed 6 books so far, and I’ll be happy with achieving 12 by year end…one a month. I have lots going on in other areas of my life too…I’m actually expecting my first baby…and buying a new house…so super busy! But busy is good and it keeps us on our feet πŸ™‚ I hope your writing and reading are coming along well too…I can’t believe we are halfway through the year almost. Lovely to hear from you too Millie. Best Wishes.

16. Anand Bose says:

The psychoanalytic introspection leaves a lots thought to be deciphered. The story is haunting, surreal and enigmatic leaving an aura of fin de siecle sublimity. Anand Bose from Kerala

17. jac forsyth says:

Your writing feels like listening to music, ‘I heard that life had become receptive to the fear that had flourished in the eyes of the submerged’ Just beautiful.