Afterlife

My senses are more profound in the spirit world. Today I hover above my gravestone and listen to melodious birdsong. I watch sunbeams saturate the cemetery in ethereal pallor. I suddenly sense the familiar saccharine scent of white carnation, and I turn to see my wife standing before my grave, holding a white bouquet.

“Life is dreadful. I miss you dearly,” she whispers.

She lays the bouquet upon my grave and sobs into a tissue. She walks away. I try to pull her back, to console her, but my hands pass through her. She disappears. And I’m left heartbroken.

©2013.alittlebirdtweets

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Afterlife

1. That was very “short and sweet”. I liked it very much. It is kinda hard to get my attention,
    but you did just that. I would like to see what else you’ve got hidden in you.

• Thanks so much. I truly appreciate that you gave your time to read my story and comment – there is so much to read on the internet, and it’s amazing how our eyes have become trained to glance over a first sentence, which seems to be the deciding point on whether we continue to read on. I am going to try my hand at more 100 word stories 🙂 Thanks again 🙂

2. hakariconstant says:

I like this. It reminds me of the music video for Staind’s song “Epiphany”, where the wife is the ghost, and the husband imagines he sees her. There is also imagery of a white rose in the video, and the husband is taken with memories by the scent of it, which also compares with similar imagery you wrote about. Here’s a link to it if you are interested – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bobskjQwWI

I am in the habit of pairing songs/music videos with my writings and quotes by others, and love being inspired/influenced creatively by them, and so to help with this process I have watched a great many music videos. I guess I have a good memory, which makes pairing them with writings easy, because my mind instantly went to the song as I was reading your story.

Kudos on using advanced vocabulary by the way, I like reading and writing things that communicate something without watering down language in attempts to be more accessible to people who are turned off by potentially unfamiliar words.

• I watched the video and I can see how you linked the music video and story together – they have very similar themes.

I have always believed there is more to this life; that there is an afterlife, that humans do not have the power to see everything with their own eyes, that we were not intended to hold this power. I guess my story is kind of sad, but at the same time there is that hope that when a person visits a grave that the dead are there watching us in their own world. And ultimately, that it doesn’t signify the end; that there is hope that when we expire ourselves that we will meet in the new afterlife.

I love music and lyrics. I have been a long time fan of R.E.M for both of these reasons. The poetry in their lyrics has inspired me in many ways. There song inspired one of my stories ‘Half a World Away’ (also the title of their song).
      It’s also wonderful how a song can hold a moment and memory in our lives – even when it’s many years ago. When we hear a song we can be taken back to that moment, that place, everything and it’s like we are back there again.

Thanks for your lovely feedback on my story. I’m loving the comparisons you are making between music and my stories. I’m also discovering some good music along the way 🙂

3. Nice snippet of loving grief-keep up the good work!

4. vbholmes says:

Sensitively told story of afterlife connection from a less-told viewpoint. Very nicely done.

5. You should write a whole novel book about this.

You have some intense visual writing style I have ever read.

Perfect execution. 🙂

6. Morbid Insanity says:

It’s like mandasiefert39 said: “short and sweet”. Deep, subtle… I loved this.

7. beingnenne says:

That’a a sweet little story. Touching and chilling..

8. Cheryl-Lynn says:

Do true to life in what must feel like the afterlife . I try to be mindful of that when I mourn my mum
    and yet times I feel her pass right thru me like a cool a breeze washes over me. Thank you for visiting my blog:)

• Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Cheryl-Lynn. That’s amazing you have experienced something similar with your mum. Thank you for visiting my blog. I look forward to following your posts. Best Wishes.

9. gspottedpen says:

The prose is so eloquent and the story overflows to make an enigma in the mind. Anand Bose from Kerala