Doppelganger

She stood at the side of the darkening country road with her hands behind her back; effectively recreating the stance of the blonde actress in the Hitchcock film. She had become fixated by the character and had perfected her dialogue, her accent, her wig and attire, to the finest detail. She stared at the horizon and yearned for a car to flash its blinding headlights into her eyes. She longed to wave it down, to take position in the passenger seat, and to ask the driver for a light so that she could blow circles of smoke through her red-perfumed lips, to illustrate her elegance. And she hoped that during the nights journey, that she would make the drivers eyes weary with her oddly behaviour, and that he’d be kind enough to drive her to Bates Motel.

©2013.alittlebirdtweets

This story has been critiqued by Eric Keys;

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “Doppelganger

1. Eric Alagan says:

What hopes, what dreams, what a nightmare in the making!

2. Paul Grant says:

Excellent,as always xx

3. Love the Hitchcock reference. you tell just enough without giving anything away. Well done, Dave.

4. domtakis says:

I love your stuff, particularly the mood that surrounds these brief flashes and scenarios.

5. This is my first taste of your work, following you here from following me (thank you so much, darling — I hope I can entertain you), and I was certainly glad I did. I adore Hitchcock, Edgar Allen Poe, and all the dark and creepy things that go bump in the night. I look forward to taking the time to discover all you have to offer.

• Thanks so much Helena, for visiting my blog, and for following me too, it’s much appreciated. I also love Hitchcock! I have a box set of his films which I adore – his movies have a unique quality to them. I did write a story inspired by Hitchcock’s ‘Psycho’ a while back, it’s called ‘Doppelganger’. I must say your blog is very inspiring and I shall definitely be visiting again. Donna

6. […] found this interesting flash fiction post that I thought I would share with you. I think the author is trying to do here what I tried to do […]

• Thanks so much for your wonderful critique of my story Eric; it’s truly appreciated and valued. I love your writing and will definitely be checking back soon, being a fellow horror-writer lover an all. Best Wishes.

7. erickeys says:

I liked this a lot. I posted some thoughts about it in a post on my site :

Take a look if you’d like.

• erickeys says:

No problem! I feel like our work is different in some important ways – you tend toward the psychological but I lean in a supernatural direction – but we both have some similarities in technique – eg, leaving the work to the reader’s imagination. I think I will learn a lot by reading your work.

8. Christina says:

I enjoyed this one. I’d say that it would be an interesting one to ‘expand’ on, as you mentioned in your previous blog BUT that may actually spoil the entire thing. Then again, it might work out just fine. 🙂

9. alexraphael says: